Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Organza, Lace, or Pearls? That is the question

Today was my first dress shopping experience!

As any blushing bride would be, I was extremely excited despite the fact that just two nights ago I had a terrible dream about going gown shopping and ending up with a lime green mini skirt.

But I have to admit... dress shopping is not like it is in the movies.

At 3pm my mom and I went to House of Fashion on J st. I explained to the nice woman what I liked and didn't like and she disappeared into the sea of white tulle.

She emerged asking my bra size and handing me the appropriate undergarments.

Then the madness began...I stood there mostly naked while 3 women threw dresses over my head and clipped the 15lb dresses into place. Then I had to shuffle out of the curtains and onto the platform that would show my dress from every angle and made me realize I had a huge bruise on my back from dance class last night.

I must have tried on 15 or 20 dresses and finally was able to narrow it down to 5. Then after trying those 5 on again, I got it down to 4. After almost 2 hours of saying "oh, the embroidery on this dress is gorgeous... does this over emphasize my butt?... do I really want to blind Alan with the beads on my boobs when I walk down the isle?... Can I try that dress with a different veil?..." I had to leave!

It was certainly dress overload. There were many beautiful dresses. And the final 4 are absolutely gorgeous. But I don't think any were "the dress"

I expected to come out of the dressing room and get tears in my eyes, I thought I would get butterflies in my stomach when I stepped on the platform, I always imagined looking at myself in a gown and realizing it's the one, but I didn't.

It was a fun, whimsical, and oddly enough educational experience. But I don't feel like the bride yet. I guess I need to try on more dresses. I just hope the right one is out there.

I know Alan is "the one," why can't I know which dress is "the one?"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You know I never really believed that whole welling up with tears wedding dress thing, but I've spoken to several brides now who have described that exact scene for themselves. So keep a-searchin'. The dress will find you. Just like Alan did. :o)